Today is the last day of my "mandatory unpaid leave". I spent most of yesterday at Mercy East in Des Moines. My friend, Kim, (she used to work in the chemistry/toxicology department with me) and her fiance, Ryan, had their baby new year's day. She went into labor the day Jason was released from the hospital. She originally started at Mary Greeley (she works there part time), but she was only 32 weeks along. (Normal is 39.) They sent her by ambulance to Mercy East, after giving her Magnesium sulfate to stop the contractions. She finally convinced the doctors to stop giving her the Magnesium sulfate around 11:00 pm new year's eve. Nolan was born new year's day at 8:48 pm. He was born at 8 pounds and 19 inches long. However, he was born with fluid in his body, all over. As the days went on, they discovered bleeding on both sides of his brain and he was possibly having mini strokes. They put him on an anticoagulant which was the less invasive course of action, but still could have been fatal. Nolan is to be in the hospital until his due date. He is on a respirator and is stable, but still considered critical. He is awfully cute though. He even opened his eyes for a little bit while I was there. Kim is staying optimistic and she's gotten to change Nolan. She takes things day by day and says that the prognosis changes everyday. Unfortunately, while friends and family can visit, no one under 14 is allowed in the NICU. Nolan's brother, Neil, hasn't been able to see him except in pictures. They do have a family waiting room, so at least Neil gets to be near.
This ordeal has made me very thankful that our nephews have been born, and continue to be, healthy. We pray for Kim and her family. Nolan continues to get stronger, but he's got a long way to go. I'm going to visit again next Saturday with another co-worker of mine.
On a happier note, I had a second interview with the company Caremoli today. I'll know for sure next Friday. I think it went pretty well. I also started another quilt today. I don't think I had enough of one of the fabrics, but I'll adjust. I also went to the quilt store where they have started a block of the month. If you purchase something, you get the pattern for free, otherwise it's a dollar. I bought a neat book on how to make Slouchy Bags. Once I get done with this quilt, I think I'll try making one of them. The block of the month is paper pieced and they have a class once a month on how to paper piece. The class focuses on the particular block for that month. I'm not taking the class this month, but hope to in the next few.
Jason has been back at work full time and is already frustrated on how people can't figure out what schedule it is. I'm sure he's glad to be back at work and get back to a "normal" schedule.
No comments:
Post a Comment