Jason's parents and my mom came out to sit with us. The surgery took almost three hours. The surgeon came out and talked to Jason and I afterwards. She said things went really well and told us what we needed to do for at-home care for the next few days and up until he would have his catheter taken out. Shortly after the consult, I was pulled to go take care of Jay because he was having nothing to do with the nurses.
The nurses were trying to feed him when I got back there. Once I took him, he calmed down enough to eat. He ate four ounces of Pedialyte. While the nurses rolled us to a recovery room, Jay was happy and sort of bouncing (he had an epidural like pain management during the surgery that was still working at that time). He was not as happy once we got to the recovery room. He would have crying fits, then be calm for a minute or two. Jason was finally able to get Jay's medicine and we were able to give him some pain medication which helped him calm down enough to take out his IV and get him dressed.
He was a happy camper when we left the recovery room and started walking through the hospital. We drove to Ann's house to pick up the last of our stuff. (Thanks for letting us stay!) Then we headed to Jason's parents to spend the night. Jay did sleep for most of the way there.
That night, Jay would have fits of crying and times of happy. We found out he loves to play with diapers, so now he has a clean diaper he can play with while we change him. We had a hard time getting him to sleep for more than ten minutes at a time. Once we gave him his muscle relaxer, he slept for longer bits of time. We didn't need to give him pain medicine overnight and he woke up pretty happy!
Today he has been almost like his old self. He's been crawling around, bouncing with his legs, gobbling up Cheerios, talking, and smiling. It's so nice to see him recovering so quickly! We go back on Friday to get his catheter taken out. Hopefully he will be healing well and be able to take real baths after that!
(And his top teeth have still not come through. I thought I could feel them this morning, but I think I was wrong.)
No comments:
Post a Comment