Thursday, March 11, 2010

Saving

Since I've been getting food from the Angel Food program, I've had this problem with the citrus fruit we get. Jason's not a big fan of citrus, and I have to be in the mood for it. (Grapefruit are the worst!) So, I got to thinking about the best way to use the oranges and the like without throwing them away. While I was at Walmart yesterday, I picked up a fairly inexpensive juicer. Jason went to the grocery store with me on Tuesday and wanted to get orange juice since he's been sick. He was amazed that a gallon was over four dollars. This is the biggest reason orange juice is only in our refrigerator when one of us is sick. So tonight, I took all of our oranges and the two tangerines we had left, and juiced them. We got about 3 cups of citrus juice. Granted, it's not a whole lot, but at least I didn't waste the oranges, and it will be much cheaper than buying orange juice.

On another note, my "No-Hassle Housecleaning" is starting to get back on track after my bout of illness/surgery. The concept is pretty simple: two 5-15 minute "cleaning bursts" a day (one at night, one in the morning), one 10 minute "focus room" a day (different room each day), and one "clean-for-all" a week lasting anywhere from fifteen minutes on up. I have a hard time with the morning cleaning burst, but have been doing pretty well on the "focus room" and nighttime "cleaning burst". Today's focus room was our upstairs. I decided to get some organizing drawers for the yarn my friend Kate left me when she moved with her family to Galena. Zara loved it! Of course, all the yarn is now organized and Zara can't get into the drawers like she could the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment